In 2017 the world celebrates the 500th anniversary of Francis Skaryna’s Belarusian Bible and the beginning of East Slavonic book printing. To mark this occasion, the Francis Skaryna Belarusian Library and Museum in London will hold an exhibition.
The exhibition will include rare Belarus-related manuscripts and printed books dated from 1495, including:
- a fragment of the Skaryna’s original edition of the First Book of Kings, 1518;
- a copy of the Statute of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, 1588 (3rd ed.);
- a manuscript of the Belarusian Tatar Tefsir (in the Arabic script), copied in 1725;
- some 16th century maps from the Library’s fine cartographic collection.
Friday 3 November 5pm-8pm
- the opening of the exhibition and presentation of the highlights from the Skaryna Library collection of the rare books and manuscripts;
- readings from Skaryna in Old Belarusian, Modern Belarusian and English;
- a tour of St Cyril’s Belarusian Religious and Cultural Centre;
Saturday 4 November
- 1pm-5pm exhibition open.
Sunday 5 November
- 1pm-4pm exhibition open.
Address 37 Holden Road, London, N12 8HS United Kingdom